What is corneal Blindness?
The cornea is the clear tissue covering the front of the eye. It is a focusing element of the eye. Vision will be dramatically reduced or lost if the cornea becomes cloudy from disease, injury or infection.
Main causes of Corneal Blindness:
- Chemical burns
- congenital disorders
- post operative complications or infections
Fortunately lost sight can be restored through the medical intervention of corneal transplantation through the donated eyes.
- You can help this happen. Let Eye Donation be your family tradition. Donate eyes of your dearest. Age dose not matter.
- The eyes of the deceased of any age can be donated whether he/she has pledged the eyes or not. For eye donation call nearest eye bank .
- Spectacle wearers, diabetics, hypertensive and people suffering from systemic disorders like asthma, tuberculosis can also donate eyes. Patients who have undergone cataract surgery can also donate eyes.
- Donate eyes of your dearest.. Eye donation gives sight to two corneal blind persons.
- All religions endorse the practice of eye donation.
- Eyes have to be removed within six hours of time of death. So lose no time in informing the nearest Eye Bank. You could be instrumental in ensuring an eye donation in time. If someone unfortunately dies in your family or friend circle, remember to call the nearest Eye Bank. This can be done irrespective of whether the deceased had pledged his/her eyes or not.
- Switch off fans, keep air conditioner or cooler running and place wet cotton with ice over the closed eyelids. It will help keep the tissue moist. Raise head with a pillow.
- The Eye Bank personnel with a doctor or trained technician visit the donor’s home. This is done free.
- 10 cc of blood sample is collected from the donor for testing.
- The eyes are removed by a trained person using sterile procedure. It leaves no scar or disfigurement of the face. Eye donation gives sight to two blind persons as one blind person receives one donated eye.
- On reaching the Eye Bank, Tissue are examined, processed and used for corneal transplant operations as early as possible.
- The needy patients are contacted in accordance with the waiting list at the Eye Bank. Emergency cases are dealt within conformity of guidelines.
- The donated eyes are never bought or sold. Request for eye donation is always attended to.
- The recipient of cornea will always remain anonymous but the donor family should be satisfied knowing that the eyes have been used to restore the vision of two blind persons.
Join this movement of
- Dial nearest Eye Bank .soon after unfortunate death of your near & dear one.
- Consent donates the eyes of your close relative or friend.
- Motivate family members of the person who has died in your area.
- Spread information about eye donation. Your word of mouth will help the movement.
- Make yourself a friend of Eye Bank.